PREPARING FOR COMMENCEMENT
ATTENDANCE AT COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES
On Tuesday, June 4, Commencement exercises will be held at 1 p.m. at the Fox Theater. Please fill out the attached online form regarding attendance at commencement no later than Friday, April 5, 2019.
COMMENCEMENT TICKET DISTRIBUTION
On Wednesday, May 1, tickets for commencement are expected to be available for distribution in the Office of Student Affairs.
Tickets are required for all guests attending Commencement. Each eligible student initially receives ten (10) guest tickets.
If you need extra tickets, please email Tracey Eady at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Because of strict occupancy regulations, tickets must be presented for each guest, no matter the age, upon entry to the Fox Theater.
Please be sure guests have their tickets on the day of the ceremony. Guests will not be admitted without a ticket.
MEASUREMENT AND ORDERING
The Willsie Cap and Gown Company be on campus to take cap and gown measurements and orders for commencement.
- Date: Tuesday, March 19
- Place: Margherio Conference Center
- Time: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pricing: The rental fee is $75, which includes a Tam instead of a Mortar Board. Your check or money order should be made payable to Specialty Enterprise.
- You can find more details and the Order Form here (PDF).
Note: If you are unable to attend on March 19, please go to the Office of Student Affairs (Suite 315 Mazurek) to place your order.
To place an on-line order for class rings, personalized announcements, graduation accessories, or to purchase regalia, please visit www.graduationspecialist.com
- April 19 is the last day to measure and order your cap and gown without additional fees.
- Starting April 20 the cost will be an additional $10.
- Starting May 1 the cost will be an additional $30.
- After May 15, you must contact email@example.com for availability and cost.
CAP AND GOWN PICKUP
Wednesday, May 29 and Thursday, May 30, caps and gowns will be available for pick up from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in 305 Mazurek.
Join the Medical Alumni Association Membership when you pick up your cap and gown!
Now that you're graduating, you have the opportunity to join the Medical Alumni Association- an organization whose impact has played a large role in your medical experience up until this point. Over 80% of the funds raised by the WSU Medical Alumni Association are given directly to medical students to enhance their experience- over $600,000 projected for 2020! We hope you find the significance in paying it forward for the future medical students, as many alums have done for you, by joining! Membership also comes with some amazing benefits as well!
- A DVD copy of your Commencement (valued at $10);
- $10 donation to the Medical Alumni Annual Fund (tax deductible)
- School of Medicine lapel pin
- WSU SOM water bottle
- Enhance your CV by including membership within this exclusive Medical Association
- 20% discount on all Alumni Association merchandise, including apparel and gift items
- 20% off Epocrates subscription
Discounted registration fees on alumni-sponsored events
- Deals on travel, dining, insurance, financial planning and much more.
Purchase a 1-yr ($25) or 3-year ($50) membership at cap and gown pick up or online at https://alumni.med.wayne.edu/join-renew.
ANNOUNCEMENTS, CLASS RINGS AND GRADUATION GIFTS
To place an order for class rings, personalized announcements, mugs, steins and other graduation accessories, please visit www.graduationspecialist.com
HONOR CORDS FOR FIRST-GENERATION PHYSICIANS
The School of Medicine honors those graduates who will be the first in their family to become a physician. Please complete this online form to apply for a silver honor cord.
- Date: Tuesday, June 4
- Time: 1 p.m.
- Location: Fox Theater, 221 Woodward Avenue, Detroit.
- Doors to the Fox Theater will open for guest seating at noon. The ceremony will last approximately two hours.
School of Medicine apparel and merchandise will be available for purchase in the lobby before and after the ceremony.
FOX THEATER DIRECTIONS, TRAFFIC AND PARKING
DIRECTIONS TO THE FOX THEATER
The Fox Theater is located at 2211 Woodward Avenue, across from Comerica Park.
Expect busier-than-usual conditions on the freeways and surface streets near the Fox Theater before and after the ceremony. You are encouraged to arrive early to reduce traffic congestion.
Before you leave for Commencement, visit michigan.gov/mdot to check for closures and detours. On your way to the Fox Theater, tune in to WWJ-AM 950 for current traffic information.
General parking for Commencement will be available in the Fox Theater Parking Structure. The structure is located at 50 W. Montcalm, between Woodward Avenue and Park, just south of I-75 (Fisher Freeway). There is a $10 per vehicle charge for parking in the structure.
There are also several surface lots in the immediate area.
Handicapped parking is also available in the Fox Theater structure. These parking spots are available on a firstcome, first-served basis to guest with the appropriate disabled permit and a state-issued license plate or placard.
Doors will open at noon for the Commencement ceremony. Graduates need to be in the theater one hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Guests should be seated by 12:50 p.m.
- Upon arrival, graduates will enter the theater through the Prime Seat Entrance located on Montcalm.
- Graduates will then be directed to the main floor for seating and ceremony directions.
- Graduates must be in their seats 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Guests will enter through the main doors to the theater on Woodward Avenue.
- To ensure the highest level of safety and security, all guests are subject to a security screening upon entering the Fox Theater; security measures include screening via walk-through metal detector and bag inspections.
- Please note: All personal belongings are subject to inspection and prohibited items must either be returned to the owner's vehicle or discarded. Items will not be held for later pickup.
The following items are not permitted in the Fox Theater. This policy is strictly enforced.
- Weapons of any kind (this includes weapons accompanied by a valid CPL permit and pocket knives)
- Aerosol cans (hair spray, mace, pepper spray, etc.)
- Backpacks, luggage, grocery and paper bags, duffle bags, large bags, large purses, large camera cases
- Balloons (air or helium)
- Balls (beach balls, footballs, baseballs, etc.)
- Cameras with lenses longer than 5 inches
- Coolers of any kind, including small soft-pack coolers
- Food, beverages or liquids (cans, bottles or boxes)
- Laser pointers
- Noisemaking devices (bells, horns, kazoos, whistles, etc.)
- Strollers and infant/car seats or carriers
- Utility tools
- The Fox Theater reserves the right to expand or modify the list of prohibited items at any time.
GRADUATE INSTRUCTIONS AND SEATING
Upon arrival to the Fox Theater, graduates must enter at the Prime Seat Entrance located on Montcalm. This entrance is directly across the street from the Fox Theater Parking Structure. Signs will be posted. As you enter, you will be directed up to the graduate robing area. Guests are not allowed in the graduate robing area and will be directed to the guest seating areas.
- Graduates should arrive with their academic regalia (cap and gown). Be sure to wear the tassel you were issued with your cap and gown.
- Tassels are worn on the right side.
- Please dress appropriately and wear comfortable footwear. As a safety precaution, spiked or high-heeled shoes are not recommended. Coats, handbags, drinks and other items may not be taken to the robing area. Leave coats, handbags and all valuables at home or with your guests.
- All graduates must report to the Fox Theater no later than noon in order to receive important instructions.
- Please arrive on time.
- Graduates are required to remain for the entire ceremony.
As the steps leading to the stage are quite narrow, we will provide volunteers to assist you in ascending and descending the stage during the ceremony.
- Tickets are required for all guests attending Commencement. Each eligible student initially receives ten (10) guest tickets.
- If you need extra tickets, please email Tracey Eady at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- Because of strict occupancy regulations, tickets must be presented for each guest, no matter the age, upon entry to the Fox Theater. Please be sure guests have their tickets on the day of the ceremony. Guests will not be admitted without a ticket.
Guests should enter the theater at the main entrance on Woodward Avenue. Guests are admitted by ticket only. Guest seating is open and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Seats may not be saved.
Please have everyone in your party arrive at the same time. Fox Theater representatives will assist guests with seating. All guests should be seated by 12:50pm. Guests and graduates are expected to remain for the entire ceremony.
WHEELCHAIR/MOBILITY LIMITATION SEATING
The Fox Theater provides wheelchair and companion seating for guests who need assistance. Guests arriving with their own wheelchairs will need to report to Guest Information, located in the Grand Lobby, to request an escort to the special needs seating area.
Guests with mobility limitations should also report to Guest Information for assistance with seating. A limited number of wheelchairs are available for transport to the seating area but are not available for use during the ceremony. Guests with difficulty walking are encouraged to bring their own wheelchair.
Every effort will be made to try and seat all guests together; however, disability seating is limited and, due to space constraints, it may be necessary that only one escort may accompany the guest to the special seating area.
Sign language interpreters will be provided during the commencement ceremonies and projected on a screen. Interpreters will not be signing the individual names of all graduating students.
Concession stands will be open prior to each ceremony and will close when the ceremony begins. There will be no alcohol sales.
Restrooms serving main floor guests are located in the lower-level lounge areas; the men's restroom is located on the right side of the theater and the women's is located on the left. The mezzanine and Gallery A, B and C men's restrooms are located on the left side of the theater and the women's are located on the right. Barrier-free restrooms are located on the main floor and Gallery C (left side of the theater).
First aid is available during all ceremonies. Please contact a Fox Theater staff member if assistance is needed.
LOST AND FOUND
All found items will be taken to the Fox Theater Corporate Security Department following the ceremony. Please contact a Fox Theater staff member or call 313-471-6490 to inquire about lost items.
COMMENCEMENT BOOK DISTRIBUTION
Commencement books will be available at seating entrances for guests. Graduates will receive a program book upon arrival.
Commencement is an exciting and memorable occasion for all of our graduates, but it is also a solemn one. Leaving before the ceremony has ended is disruptive and disrespectful to others. Graduates and guests are expected to remain for the entire ceremony.
The last graduate to cross the stage should expect to receive the same honor as the first, so please show consideration for all graduates by remaining seated until the conclusion of the ceremony.
Please refrain from excessive talking, cheering, use of noisemakers and other distractions, as this takes away from the dignity of the ceremony. Watches with alarms, cellphones and beepers can be distracting as well.
Out of respect for all graduates and guests, please switch all of your electronic equipment to silent, vibrate or off.
Each ceremony will feature greetings by university officials, a student speaker, conferral of degrees and the diploma march, during which the graduates' names will be called.
The academic processional, which marks the start of the ceremony, will start promptly at 1 p.m. The graduates will process first, followed by the platform party and faculty.
ANNOUNCING OF GRADUATE NAMES AND NAMECOACH
Graduates' names will be announced during the diploma march.
All students now have the opportunity to use NameCoach to voice-record their name pronunciation for commencement. Using this free on-line tool can greatly reduce the chance of name mispronunciation.
Visit the link below and follow the instructions:
- Type in your name as you would like it announced at commencement.
- List the phonetic spelling of your name as you did on your application for graduation.
- Enter your phone number and the system will call you and prompt you to record your name pronunciation.
- You can re-record your name as many times as you like until you are comfortable with how it sounds (be sure to speak slowly and clearly, with minimal background noise).
- Once recorded and saved in the system, Dean Chadwell can review and practice your name pronunciation so it can be read correctly at commencement.
Please visit this link to take advantage of NameCoach: https://www.name-coach.com/record/SOM060419
Grad Foto is the official university commencement photographer. They will be at Commencement to take graduate photos during the ceremony. You will receive information from them by email and by mail. Find out more about their services at gradfoto.com.
Following the ceremonial recognition of the graduates, the platform party and faculty will leave the theater during the recessional march. Graduates and guests should remain seated until they have exited the theater. The commencement emcee will dismiss the graduates and guests.
MEETING AFTER THE CEREMONY
Please be sure to communicate with your guests about where to meet after the ceremony. Approximately 5,000 people will exit at the same time and it may be difficult to locate your family and guests.
For friends and family members who are unable to attend, the ceremony will be filmed and available for viewing one week after the ceremony at https://www.med.wayne.edu/stream/special-events/